Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Day in the Life.....

Mary ann and Richard arrived yesterday morning and Richard made a beeline to the pastry store and bought the place out. Then we had "2nd breakfast" all morning!! They were pretty beat from the tour, so Pat & I went to the market to get what I needed for today's feast!. Around 6:30, we set out to find the great Roman Waterfire (an import from our town of Providence, RI) We got on a bus that was so crowded that I think (but not sure!!) that I might be having someone's baby!!! People just kept getting on and getting on and no one was getting off!! After 25 minutes of this, we arrived at the appointed stop and began to walk. Pat kept saying "I know the Tiber is in that direction" and he was right. But the Tiber is a L-O-N-G river and by the time we established where we "thought" it was, we were so far away from it and I was shot!!
     So we had dinner at Pizzaria di Loreto and came home.
      Around 3 AM, we were nestled all snug in our beds. It was a cool night so the windows were open. All of a sudden this drunk starts yelling at the top of his lungs "ROME" - over and over and over again and ringing all the doorbells of our apartment building. After 1/2 an hour of this, he finally made contact with "ROME" who said he was the happiest he had been in his whole life. Well, One can only imagine what had transpired that evening and we were wide awake. It took a while to get back to sleep - GRRRRRRR!!!!!!! and I am fading now.......
      Somewhat bleary-eyed, I set off to rehearse with the Caravita folks - it was an interesting rehearsal conducted in English, Italian and Spanish, but I caught most of the stuff. It is quite a lovely community and liturgy!
      Now I am at the apartment (re-charging and cooking) while Pat, Richard and Mary Ann do the Pantheon and surrounding churches!
     Oh yeah, we "facetimed" with the Tim Reid's - Lord, I miss my grands!! And I think Taya is not totally convinced that we are ever coming home!
Ciao, amici

4 comments:

  1. Time is such a difficult concept for children - and obviously some Romans! - to understand. Imagine the greetings when you do return!

    They sang from 'The Song of Mark' and we cried...Julie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those imagined greetings are what keep me going!! :-)
    I cried too, but because I knew that what I was experiencing couldn't hold a candle to what was happening at St. Thomas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your babies miss you!!! I am sure you miss them as much or more!!!!

    ReplyDelete