Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Mother Church

Yesterday, Monday, after Pat's class, we decided to go to St. Peter's. My back was feeling better so we went! It was an easy bus ride from the CEA center (the same bus runs from the Center to the Vatican) to St. Peter's
     We had been there before, but it is ever ancient, ever new. I took a ton of photos' even though I know we will return because we haven't seen the Vatican Museum this time yet. Just the vastness of it blows you away. The statues are huge and beautiful and powerful and graceful and....and....je ne sais qoi!!!!!! The altar and baldechino are massive and the dome!!!!!!!!  There are no words to describe it. I will post a few photos



     The first photo is the incredible bronze door of St. Peter's

the 2nd photo is, of course, Michelangelo's Pieta behind a plexiglass shield. We stood in awe!!

the 3rd is a beautiful, graceful statue of St. Veronica in a niche up high.

and the 4th is the Bernini columns.
Ciao!!

3 comments:

  1. Just stunning Linda! I am so glad that you felt well enough to go. The DOOR is just something, so detailed and ornate!! And the statues and carvings of course, artwork extraordinaire!
    xoxoxoxo
    Huggies,Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is.... WOW!!!!
    Thank you for sharing.... merci mon amie
    hugs
    Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is all could say too, Lise!!! I love it that you ladies are sharing this experience with me!!

      Delete